Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dad...

It's your turn!!!

Dad2

You may be wondering why I started your Father's Day tribute post with a picture of a snowy gravel road. Any idea where this is? It's that road you told Mark and I about that begins in no-mans-land Idaho and ends in West Yellowstone, Wyoming. It is, quite possibly, the most memorable road I've ever driven on. When I saw this picture, I thought about how we share a love for places like this road, and Tofino, and amazing sights like the full harvest moon rising over the ocean.

You have a way of telling stories of places and things. I love your stories of college in Idaho, or traveling around the country as a boy scout, summers with your Grandparents, and so many more. I have to admit, the lecture on "Terephthalic Radicals" at Pizza Hut was a just a bit over my head.

Dad5

I love that you are a calm, laid back person, but you still have a child-like silly side - yes, you do!  Let me be more specific...How about when we were little and you would give us those long squeeky kisses on our cheeks when you would get home from work?  Or, the way you make a big entrance when you come out of your bedroom in the morning when the kids are visiting?  The occasional tap dancing?  Picking up every Christmas gift and announcing "It's a bowling ball!"  And, there once was this grandfather who dressed up as a wizard and sat on the beach, all for the pleasure of his grandchildren.


Dad3

I've always felt pretty lucky that my Dad looks like Harrison Ford! : )

Dad1

This picture has sat on my bedside table for as long as I can remember.  It was taken when we went to watch Pam in a sailing race at Jordan (whoops, not Jordan!) Kerr Lake (by a newspaper photographer and it made the paper).  I remember sailing the catamaran around with you that day.  It was pretty windy and rough on the lake and we had to tuck our legs under the straps on the boat and lean back off the boat.  Later on we sat out on this point by the tree and watched the race.  I don't know why, but this picture has always been very special to me.  I like to think that it keeps me grounded. 


So thanks Dad...for telling me about that road, for being calm and silly all at the same time, for taking me places, and teaching me things.  Here's to you!  Happy Father's Day!

1 comment: