Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Farmer's Wife Quilt

A couple of fantastic quilters whose blogs I love to read have started a quilt-a-long to make The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt...and I've decided to play along.  The quilt is inspired by letters written by farmer's wives in the 1920s in response to this question (posed by The Farmer's Wife Magazine):

"If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?"      

The quilt itself is made up of 111 - 6" blocks!  Instructions and templates are given in this book, along with the stories themselves, which I imagine are going to be as entertaining and enlightening as making the quilt.  This is going to be a nice slow-paced quilt-a-long...2 blocks per week. 

This is the first time I've done a quilt-a-long and I'm very excited!  I'm pretty new to this world of virtually sewing with others...I've never done a swap or a bee.  I literally just finished my first quilt about a month ago (and still need to blog about it)!  I'm pretty picky about what I "sign myself up for", but this QAL is so unique.  I love that every block is different and hope this will help me with my cutting and piecing skills.  I love the tradition of the quilt, even though I plan to make it with modern fabrics.

I already made the first two blocks!!  From the start, I decided I wanted to challenge myself to be bold with my fabric choices for the blocks and not to think too much how all of these 111 blocks are going to look together in one big quilt at the end.  I might regret the latter, but we'll see.    

Farmer's Wife QAL - Blocks 2 & 23

This is #23, the Contrary Wife block.

Farmer's Wife QAL - Block 23

And Block #2, Autumn Tints.

Farmer's Wife QAL - Block 2

And there are tons of other fantastic blocks made by others over in the flickr group.  Only 109 more to go...phew!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous blocks, what a great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these blocks especially the autumnal colors one with the fussy cutting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of your blocks so far! I especially love the "Contrary Wife" one -- great fabric choices. You inspired me to use some Castle Peeps in one of mine!

    ReplyDelete