Thursday, July 7, 2011

To Joe: On the Eve of the Eve of your 3rd Birthday...

We had a special afternoon together, and I cherished it as one of your last days of being just 2.  We were just on our way home from dropping Maggie off at a friend's for a playdate and you fell asleep in the car.  As I carried you to your bed, you laid that big ole head of yours so sweetly in the nook of my shoulder and slumped into me.  I could swear when you do this that you are still a baby.  You do not usually wake up while I'm trying to lay you down, but today you did.  You quickly popped up and asked me to play with you.  You wanted to play with your "guys" (your little Toy Story figurines that you love the most).

We played for a bit and then I asked you if you wanted to help me make pasta sauce.  Stir the "soup"...yes, yes!  We went to the yard and I let you cut some basil and parsley.  When we got inside you sat so sweet and still on the counter picking the leaves off the herbs for me.  Happily working away, content to just be involved.


Little Helper
And since you worked so hard, I let you spin the salad spinner.  You find delight in silly things like this.  "I do dat again, Mama?" you asked, over and over again.
Spinning
And as a treat for that, I gave you the last little cupcake leftover from your party with friends the day before.  I put a candle in it and we sang Happy Birthday together.  For you.  Even though your birthday is still a couple of days away.  You asked me if you could blow out your candle all by yourself.  You betcha!
Almost 3
I think you relished in the fact that it was just you and I having this little impromptu celebration.  And so did I.
Cheeseball
And in your typical fashion, you left a huge mess of crumbs...from a two-bite cupcake. 
It was a perfect way to spend an afternoon with you and celebrate the last of your 2-hood.  You are so sweet and charming.  You take your time and think about things before jumping right in.  And, as long as you can help, you don't really seem to mind what it involves.  As we were on our way out the door to pick up Maggie, I accidentally bumped you, knocked you over, and caused you to hit your head on the wall.  I expected a flood of tears and drama, but you snuffled a bit, looked up at me and said very innocently "Mama, you got to watch out for me, k?".  You bet I will, bud....forever and ever.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Happy Birthday Joe! You look good in the Polish football shirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sniff, sniff*
    It goes by so fast, doesn't it??

    ReplyDelete