Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Knitting Fever

Maybe it's because my sewing machine is in the shop getting a tune-up, or maybe it's the onset of Fall....but I've been knitting like crazy!  It helps that I have a fabulous yarn store about 5 minutes from my house.  And, a recent class I've started there has opened up my mind to the possibility of designing knits....more on that below.   

First, a recent finish....a Honey Cowl in Malabrigo Rios.  This was my first time using Malabrigo yarn and it was wonderful.  I did an "in between" size that only used 1 skein of yarn and ended up about 7" wide.  I finished this cowl just in time for our cold camping trip, and wore it all weekend!  It's just long enough to double up. (Ravelry link here)

Honey Cowl Done!

Honey Cowl Closeup

Doubled Up

Next, I pulled a couple of yarns from my stash and started this Big Lace Scarf from "More Last Minute Knitted Gifts".   I'm using Cascade 220 wool and a mohair and the combo is giving it a little Halloween-ish feel.  I like it! (Ravelry link here)

Chunky Lace Scarf

Chunky Lace Scarf

This is the project that has me excited, though!  On Sunday, I started a 2-part knitting class to learn how to design my own fingerless gloves.  I had some definite lightbulbs going off in my head during this class.  It immediately opened up my mind to the possibility of designing knitted items.  I chose this superwash Minnow Merino yarn.  I've been loving purple lately (or else Maggie is rubbing off on me) so I picked this lovely deep shade.  The top of the glove is a horseshoe lace pattern, and the rest is ribbed.  At the next class, we'll learn to add the thumb gusset and finish them off.  I can't wait!  (Ravelry link here)  

Fingerless Mitts

Back of Fingerless Mitts

I have a few other things in my knitting basket, but they aren't quite as enticing as these fun Fall knits.    

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I have no idea even how to make something close to that! Go you!

    ReplyDelete