Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Reflections

Earlier this week, I took some time to look back through my blog posts from the last couple of years.  So many things came clear to me...but the bottom line is I love blogging.  It is so rewarding to have those bits and pieces of life on record.  I was struck by how different aspects of life play on each other and how seasons shape our lives.  Some of my favorite blog posts were totally random but a good solid frame of reference made them totally significant.  My "Sunday Reflections" posts were often like that, so I decided to try to start getting back into the swing of them.

Today we fell back, ushering in shorter and eventually colder days.  I happen to like this shift, at least for a little while.  I think it slows us down a bit.  But, it definitely makes for a small window of time to get outside with the kids in the afternoons.  So, last week I did my best to get us all out as much as possible.  There was some swinging (and hand-holding) and some park trips.   Maggie made a friend one day and promptly taught her how to gallop around the park (on Bullseye the horse, of course).  Straight-up running is so overrated to her.  ;-)   

DSC00757

The kids and I also went to our favorite museum one afternoon and said Hello to all of our favorite animals.  Joe is getting more and more interested in dinosaurs.  He loves to go up to every sign and ask me the name of each dinosaur.  Then he repeats it, and gives me a look like "if you know what's good for you, don't laugh or even smile at the way I pronounced that word".  He insists a T-rex is just "T-rex"...no tyrannosaurus nothing, Mommy.  And, right now, I don't argue with that kid.  

DSC00783

It was a perfect Fall day, the museum was very quiet, and we enjoyed feeling like we had it all to ourselves! 

Best Friends

Saturday, we met with a bunch of friends (my Mom friends from Maggie's old preschool) at a park for a family field day.  It was soooooo fun!  Potato sack races, tug of war, mummy wraps, bean bag toss, food, friends...  All of the kids had a blast! 

Fall Field Day

We started talking tonight at dinner about thankfulness.  I put a bowl on the table and told the kids we could all write down or draw things we feel thankful for and stick them in the bowl.  It sparked all kinds of interest.  They are decidedly thankful for our cats, Lewis and Clark, although I don't think the feeling is mutual.  : )  I'm thankful for those long, beautiful Fall days we had last week and for the time I spent recalling and writing about them here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment