Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fun Day with Fabric

Anyone who has spent time with Maggie knows she loves to color.  She will work her way through a coloring book, page by page, without missing a thing.  So, when I came across this blog post recently about coloring fabric with Sharpies, I immediately knew she would love it.  I happened to have a little bit of Lu Summer's new "Summersville" fabric collection and picked up a big pack of Sharpies at Staples for $5!  I thought it would be a good project to have around for summer...coloring Summersville in summer...makes sense, no?  But, then I made the mistake of mentioning it to Maggie.  Seven o'clock this morning...first thing out of her mouth...two inches from my face..."Mommy, can we color that fabric now?".

And, so, this afternoon we dove in.  Well, actually the kids dove in while I worked on a project and um, supervised.  They both loved it!   I enjoyed seeing their different approaches. 

Coloring Summersville

Joe's Work

Maggie's Work

I told them when they were "done" I would make something out of the fabric for them - maybe a bag, a pencil pouch or some kind of book cover.  I'm willing to bet there will be another early morning request when she's ready.   

So far, so good

His Approach

While they worked, I started piecing a quilt top for Maggie that I recently cut out.  I cannot tell you how many renditions of quilts have passed through my head for for this girl.  When I first started sewing, I was 100% set on making her a quilt out of Momo Wonderland - something like this.  It was one of my first fabric purchases.  Then, she developed a deep disdain for the color red (which has since been joined by hearts and bows - yup).  So, I gave up on making her anything for while...until recently, when her favorite purple and pink fabrics from my stash met some light blues, yellows, and natural linen.  This is essentially a scrappy strip quilt, but I'm using a pattern from Patchwork Style by Suzuko Koseki.  The strips are really columns so they go lengthwise with the quilt. 


Scrappy Strip Quilt

I'm surprised by how much I love it.  And, I feel pretty eager to get it done, as I have a fun plan for quilting it.  Stay tuned!         

No comments:

Post a Comment