Tuesday, June 26, 2012

{Speaking of Summer}

I first went blueberry picking with a friend many years ago at the crrraaack of dawn on a very hot July morning.  Loads of blueberries, lots of fun...I think we went twice that year.  In recent years, I always try to take the kids strawberry picking.  Lots of great memories of those outings reside on this blog, but more importantly deep in my heart.  I know it sounds cheesy, but they were really, really memorable.

When I heard that we were going to have this freakishly awesome day today weather wise (think highs in the 70s and sunny awesome), I sought out a place to go pick some berries.  As it turned out, our favorite farm had both blueberries and blackberries for picking.  The kids were not so thrilled when I told them what we were doing and I worried that they were over the whole berry picking thing.  


But, once we got out there, they fell into a happy, almost giddy rhythm.  It was beautiful and so quiet and we had what felt like the whole farm to ourselves.  At one point one of them shouted "Mommy, this is the greatest day ever!".  They picked and ate and talked about what we would do with it all and how Daddy would eat all the blackberries before "bednight".  We had real conversations, as if being out in this open clear air away from all distractions, suddenly allowed us all to open up.
     

In that short hour out in the fields, we connected in a wonderful and mysterious way.  I have to admit, I wasn't expecting that to happen.


On our way out, we stopped at the farm stand for some homemade ice cream (a must!).  I made a comment to the lady working there that I couldn't believe how beautiful of day it was and how quiet it was on their farm.  She responded, saying she didn't know what we did to deserve such a beautiful day like this, but she was going to take it all in.  My feelings exactly...   

No comments:

Post a Comment