Thursday, July 5, 2012

Priorities

This is a journal I made in which I keep lists of things. Mostly sewing related lists. It kind of makes me laugh to look back at all of my lists and see what I accomplished and what I didn't and how my lists have gotten shorter over time with realizing what I can accomplish and what I can't.

Sewing Journal

Does anyone else out there have lists like this that separate needs and wants? In the back of my head I always seem to have a divide on my sewing list. And, sometimes the conflict between the two really bugs me. The truth is I really don't HAVE to do any of this. And, the truth is I love to create and sew and I enjoy almost any time I can find to make anything, save mending a pair of pants or fixing a hole in a stuffed animal.

Priority List


I have loooved working on my scrap challenge project and I have appreciated having a deadline.  I do well with deadlines.  But, I am dying to finish Maggie's quilt top.  And, I have a fantastic idea for a quilt for Joe and all of the fabric picked out, but don't want to spend a dime until I know I can make it happen.  And, then there's those things that I file under..."what a treat it would be to make this", like Sew Liberated's Paloma top.  It looks like it would be a super comfy shirt for after the baby comes.  But, I just can't seem to move it up on my list of priorities and justify the spending it will involve.  And, quite frankly, I shouldn't spend a dime until I make some more things for my Etsy shop and sell them. 

Making lists is great, whether in your brain or on paper.  But, setting priorities and finding balance is tough!  I am often asked how I find the time to do it all, and the truth is I don't.  I squeeze in an hour here and an hour there.  And I have an awesome husband who gives me nice long breaks. 

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my kids today as we face another day of 100 degree temps.  And, I'm trying to figure out how I can work in a trip to the fabric store in the middle of that to pick up some thread I need to finish my scrap challenge project.  Meanwhile, they've been playing very happily upstairs for the past couple of hours.  And, here, I could've been working on something on that list!  If you care to share how you prioritize, please do.  I'd love to hear from you!  

3 comments:

  1. I keep very similar lists! And there always seems to be way more on it than I have time for. I got the Paloma patten a few weeks ago and have it on my sewing wish list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I have both lists too! And when I make something from the "want to sew" list it's like having dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge list maker both at work and at home. I also laugh when I see my over ambitious lists from weeks gone by....

    ReplyDelete