Monday, April 22, 2013

Kids Clothes Week: Day 1

It's that time again...Kids Clothes Week (KCW) - a fun challenge to sew an hour a day for 7 days, making clothes for your kids.  I've done it a couple of times before and have always found it to be so motivating and inspirational.

This year I decided to set a goal to make one *great* piece of clothing for each of my kids.  Easy, right?  We shall see!  I also wanted to use up some fabric in my stash instead of buying new fabric.   Today, I finished up a couple of pieces for my girls.  I had some time to myself over the weekend so I got a head start.

Flashback Skinny Tee - Hoodie

I made this fun hoodie for Maggie using Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee pattern and this tutorial (for turning it into a hoodie).  I talked about how much I love her Geranium Dress Pattern last week and I feel the same way about this pattern.  I just love how her patterns have all sorts of little helpful tips, lots of photos, and very clear instructions.

Flashback Skinny Tee - Hoodie + Goofball

And, again, the fit is absolutely perfect!  I sewed a size 6, lengthened it a little bit (as Rae describes in the pattern) and made it a tad bit wider for Maggie, mainly because the knit fabric I used was on the thicker, less jersey side.  I'm pretty clueless about knit fabrics, and I got this one a long time ago (when I could barely sew) from someone on a cloth diaper forum (go figure).  I'm thinking maybe it's an interlock knit but not sure.  For the cuffs and trim on the hood I used a rib knit from Joanns.  I decided to omit snaps or buttons on the collar...mainly because I don't have any snap pliers...or muscles.  

Skinny Tee

I'm so happy with how this turned out and she LOVES it.  It screams cool beach nights, don't ya think? What a goof, I love her!

I made a hood! Yay!

For Lyla, I made another Geranium Dress (hey, when it ain't broke, don't fix it!) - this time a sleeveless tunic version in View B (pleated).  I made it with this awesome floral print from Tsuru by Rashida Coleman-Hale.  After seeing all of these versions, there was just no hope.  : )  It's a beautiful border print and I managed to use the border portion for the bodice and the main motif for the skirt portion of the dress.

Tiny Geranium Tunic

Pleats

Back

Sittin Pretty

Lyla wore it today over her onesie and looked ridiculously cute, as usual.  I'm still pinching my brown-eyed self that I have a blue-eyed girl!  They are a deep dark blue, but they are blue!

So, that's today.  I'm off to a surprisingly great start and have two things that are getting a lot of love already!  Woohoo!  I went to a friend's house last night and started working on a shirt for Joe (using the Maxwell shirt pattern by Shwin & Shwin).  It has a collar - eeek!  Hope to finish that up in the next day or two.

I think I'll spend the rest of my evening looking at what everyone else has been up to!     

 

1 comment:

  1. i love this fabric - and dress! so much. it is truly perfect in every way! beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete