Sunday, August 11, 2013

Dillon's Quilt - Take Two!

I have received so many kind comments about Dillon's quilt - thank you all!  Sometimes when I make things that are so personal, I have a hard time really judging them, so all of your positive feedback was such a pleasant surprise and made me so happy.  I got to take it over to the little guy a couple of weeks ago, which was even better.

I totally enjoyed figuring out how to put that quilt together and I love the finished product.  So, I'd like to make another!  And, since a few folks asked, I'll be posting a tutorial.  I'm going to post the tutorial in a few steps - covering supplies and fabric selection, cutting, and piecing the top.  If anyone would like to sew with me, I'll coordinate it as a quilt-along.          

Palette for a new quilt

I'll be sewing my new version of Dillon's quilt with these beautiful fabrics.  This is the Rosette collection by Juliana Horner available at Joanns (and still on sale!).  I fell in love with these fabrics upon seeing them in person.  I think they have that perfect balance of vintage and modern appeal...and I just love the orange.  This quilt will have quite a different look than my first version, but I think these will rock the design!  

I'm going to make a baby size quilt for my lap - if only I had a tiny baby to put on my lap...why did mine have to grow up so fast?!?!   Anyway, this baby-sized lap quilt will be about 40" x 60".  And, I plan to tie it for an easy and floppy finish.   

If you're looking forward to the tutorial or if you'd like to sew along with me, I'd love to hear from ya - post a comment or shoot me an email!  I'll be posting the tutorial in about a week.  In the meantime, if you want to gather supplies, see my Tutorial post for an updated supplies list you will need

~ 10-12 1/4 to 1/3 yd cuts (selvedge to selvedge cuts are preferable for this design) OR ~13 fat quarters for the quilt top
~ 2 yds for quilt back
~ 1/2 yd for quilt binding
~ batting, thread, etc.  

12 comments:

  1. Yeah yeah yeah yeah! I am so excited you are doing this! I've been stalking your blog lately hoping you would do a tutorial!!! I just bought my fabric today! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Abbey! I can't reply as you are a "no-reply blogger"...but know that I'm excited you'll be joining me on this fun quilting adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for the tutorial! My 4th is coming in November and I've been searching for a new quilt pattern to try:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this will be a sweet quilt and probably pretty quick for you to finish. Congrats on #4!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous quilt just right for my first grandchild, I shall look forward to the tutorial.Thank you for sharing. Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will join along! Although I don't know what you mean by tieing it. I want to make this for number 5, but I don't know if I want mine so large. Easy enough to carry around. Is there a cutting guide we will need?
    -brianna
    Littlelapsi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brianna! So happy you'll be joining. You can size down the pattern by eliminating columns and/or rows. Each column is approx 8" finished. And each "row" is about 6" tall. The cutting instructions post will be up today. 😊

      Delete
  6. I'm new to your blog and love this quilt! I've been looking for a pattern that I can make for the new babies of all of my grad school friends -- I wanted the pattern to be the same for all of the BU babies, but each to have their own twist and this is perfect. So excited to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! So glad you'll be following along. I think this quilt is a great option for you...it's fairly quick to put together too!

      Delete
  7. I love this! I am eagerly choosing my fabrics to make this for some good friends' foster baby boy! Will post my pics when done. Thank you for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I'm just joining in. Love the quilt and interested in instructions. Thanks

    ReplyDelete