Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Quilt for Fall: Finished Arrow Tail Quilt

A Quilt for Fall

Arrow Tail Quilt Cozy

Arrow Tail Quilt

Arrow Tail Quilt Back

Arrow Tail Quilt Tied

Arrow Tail Quilt Front

Arrow Tail Quilt



Arrow Tail Quilt 

I finished tying and binding my Arrow Tail Quilt (links to full tutorial here) while we were vacationing at the beach.  And, what a perfect quilt to bring home and usher in Fall.  I almost enjoyed photographing this quilt as much as I did making it.  I took these pictures on a giant wood pile in our back yard with the late afternoon Fall glow filtering through the trees.  With a little help from some friends, I'm trying to work on my photography, and editing in Lightroom.  I thought this quilt deserved a proper photo shoot, so I did my best! 

For the quilt, I chose to use the beautiful collection Rosette by Juliana Horner (for Fabric Traditions for Joann Fabric stores).  So many kind people have complemented me on the colors in this quilt.  I so appreciate that, but all credit goes to the brilliant designer on this one.  I liked this collection when I first saw it online, I loved it in person, and I absolutely adore it in this quilt.  

I chose to hand tie this quilt instead of machine quilting it.  I tied it with a creamy pearl cotton at every "point" and in the middle of every arrow tail piece.  I thought tying would be so fast, but it actually took me a good bit of time.  I'm kind of a slow poke though.  At times I questioned whether it was the best way to quilt this, but in the end I love it.  This is such a vibrant quilt and the fabric is very soft, so I love how the minimal quilting highlights these features. 

The back of the quilt is my favorite print from the collection - Garden Main Floral.  I bound it in the Posy Navy print from the collection which I think makes the whole quilt pop.  This quilt is a large baby size measuring around 40" x 60".  It is a nice lap quilt for me.  

A few folks have joined the quilt a long on flickr and have gotten started on their own Arrow Tail Quilts.  Yay!  I pop over when I can to see if anyone has posted questions or comments, but please know that I'm just an email away if you have a question or want to share your progress.  If anyone finishes a quilt using my tutorial, please, pretty please, share it with me (and kindly link to my tutorial).  I'd love to share some finished Arrow Tail Quilts here.  Happy Fall!

4 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt! I saw it on Flickr and followed it over. My little Joann's got only a few prints from JH's collection, but they are lovely. (I am currently using some in a Modern Maples.) Now I am going to check out your Arrow Tail pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love your quilts & your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am drooling over all of your yummy fabrics! Gorgeous quilt, gorgeous design, I can't wait to make one! Thanks for taking so much time to explain all the steps in your tutorials, I know how long those can take!

    ReplyDelete