Monday, September 30, 2013

Sewing for Moi: The Ruby Top

It's Monday, and I'm exhausted.  And, I know it has everything to do with the crazy weekend I had here.  Friday was my birthday, and I got to go out to dinner AND to a concert with Mark.  I wanted to pinch myself all night because it was so great.  We saw Langhorne Slim & the Law (great band!) at the Haw River Ballroom (amazing venue!) in Saxapahaw, NC (can we move there now?!).  It was a gorgeous Fall day and night.  It was perfect.   I felt like I was 25 again.

Saturday, after realizing I was still in fact, 37 (boo!), we packed up the kids and headed out for a camping adventure nearby with two good friends and their families.  We were all having such a nice time until Lyla woke up in the tent around 9 pm and refused to go back to sleep.  Mark and I spent most of the night in and out of the tent, the car, wandering around trying to find somewhere, some way to get her to sleep.  It was a long night, there were lots of tears, and not nearly enough sleep for a baby and a couple of washed up parents.  You win some, you lose some, I suppose.   

So, that was our weekend.  But, the real reason I'm here is to share my new Ruby Top with you.  Sewing for me - this is new!  Well, the other times I've tried to make things for me just didn't work out.  But, I absolutely love how this top turned out. 


The pattern is the Ruby Dress and Top, another great one by Made by Rae.  It is really a quick sew and not surprisingly, the fit is perfect.  I find all of her patterns to be so accurate on fit, which is why I was so willing to give this one a go.  That, and the fact that I found the main fabric for $5.50/yd.  Kind of a no brainer there.  The main fabric is this print from Chicopee (still $5.50/yd!) by Denyse Schmidt.  The bodice fabric is a very soft black corduroy I picked up at Joanns a while back.  


I followed Rae's video tutorials to make the lined yoke version.  The videos were actually what sold me on buying the pattern - so many great tips just in those videos.  I love to "watch" others sew and notice all the details, like how people pin and manipulate the fabric.  I'm such a dork.  Anyway, I originally made the dress version, but decided to chop off about 10 inches or so and make it a top.  I just found the top to be more flattering on me.  I think if you follow the pattern for the top, it would be a bit shorter than my version.  A few other things I love about this pattern: all of the seams are hidden with the lined yoke version, she includes an awesome seam finishing guide (I used the flat fell seam on the sides), plus so many other tips throughout.  I will definitely be making more Ruby Tops!  Although I love this top, I'm not a huge fan of quilting cottons in clothing, so I want to try it in linen or even some rayon.   

Ruby Top - Back

And, that my friends was how I started my 37th year.          

3 comments:

  1. So glad you had a nice birthday! So sad Lyla had such a rough night camping. LOVE this top, though. Would be darling as a tunic as well. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really adorable! The top looks great on you. I agree, Rae puts up a mean pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it!!! camping next year will be much better!!!! i need to sew for me too....

    ReplyDelete