Friday, October 25, 2013

October, Outside and In


Bits of Nature

Beautiful

Exploring

Inside Quilt-making

A New Quilt?

Well, after a long cloudy and rainy start to Fall, Mother Nature finally decided to show up with the real deal.  Sunshine, dry crunchy leaves, cool crisp air.  There are certain times of the year when I truly love and appreciate our home and the property we have, and this is one of them.  So, I'm politely encouraging, ahem,  my kids to get outside as much as possible.  Lyla absolutely loves to be outdoors, scratching in the dirt, checking out all of the little bits of nature...everything new and prickly and colorful.  I think she is thankful for the room to move and explore and I am equally thankful that there is enough for her to pause and ponder that I can sit and swing on the hammock a bit.

Life is still so busy with everyone going in different directions, but I'm finding enough time to sew a little most days.  Sometimes I can sew a little when Lyla is napping, but almost every night I find my way to my studio for an hour or two after the kids go to bed.  Oh, I love, love, love my new space.  It's just awesome!  I turn on some music or put a show on my Kindle Fire.  Currrent obsessions?  The Avett Brother's new album and The Walking Dead (so not me, but I love it).  I kind of laugh at myself when it's mid-morning, my little one is sleeping upstairs, and I'm home alone watching zombie shows and sewing quilts.  Good stuff.  I still don't have a table to sew on so I've been mostly sewing standing up at my cutting table.  I have to say I strangely like it...it's quite convenient.

My latest Arrowtail Quilt, a commissioned quilt, is coming along so great.  I'm obsessed with the selection of fabrics I picked for this one.  It's going to be a twin size and I'm putting it together in a non-traditional manner, sort of a quilt-as-you-go method, since I just don't think my machine is big enough to manage a twin size quilt.  I'll have to share how I'm doing it as I think it makes big quilts far more manageable.  Stay tuned! 

I'm also trying to finish up a Halloween costume for Maggie.  I really loathe sewing Halloween costumes but Maggie had her heart set on a particular costume and we just couldn't find it anywhere for a reasonable price in her size.  So, I'm making it....ugh.  And it involves tulle...ugh.  I've finished a majority of the costume but have been procrastinating all week on two last little accessories.  

So, yeah, I can hardly wait until Halloween is over to start a new quilt.  That pile is my latest obsession.  It started with a fat quarter stack of Tula Pink's Acacia line in the Canyon colorway from Sew Love Fabrics.  I love the olive and pink combo and those racoons!  I've been slowly adding some teals and neutrals to the pile.  Now to decide what quilt to make.  I think I might jump on the Modern Maples bandwagon or maybe a churn dash quilt.  Who else out there is planning a new quilt?  Do share!  

No comments:

Post a Comment