Monday, November 11, 2013

Serena Dress

I bought this Serena Baby Dress pattern when Lyla was a baby and I wanted to sew some simple tunics.  But, then I kind of forgot about it...until I saw several adorable versions over on Rachel's blog (these were the first to catch my eye).  At an age where children outgrow things faster than they can really enjoy them, this little dress is an anomaly.  I have a feeling it will last a while.  She can wear it as a dress and then a tunic, alone in the summer, or over a shirt and with leggings in the winter.  And, it's reversible!  

Reverse Serena Dress

Serena Dress

I sewed the size 6-12 months (which is the largest size), and it's a little wide on her in the shoulders, but fits well with a shirt.  If I make more, I might consider taking out a little of the width between the shoulders.  The pattern itself is very straightforward and simple - it really took me just over an hour even after I botched the binding and had to take it off and redo it.  I takes just two 1/2 yard cuts of fabric so I'll definitely be making more!

Top Serena Dress

Chambray Bound

Now, let's talk about the fabric!  I've had my eye on this fabulous Fort Firefly collection by Birch Fabrics since it came out.  I just love the little woodland scenes, the earthy tones and the fact that it's organic.  Admittedly, a bit pricey for me, though.  So, my friend Raedene found it for a great price and we decided to make an order together and split it (it's so nice to have a friend that loves fabric as much as me!).  She made the adorable dresses at the end of this post for her girls - aren't they cute?!?!  Anyway, this fabric just seems perfect for little girls' clothes.  For the binding I used a light chambray by Robert Kauffman.   I love how it makes the dress just a bit more casual and comfy.
       
Cute Legs

Fort Firefly Dress

Oh, my sweet toddling-toddler.  Just look at those sweet legs.  It sure doesn't look like it in the pictures, but she is all.over.the.place. 

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! i just have to say that i love this so much. i love the snaps you used. i love the fabric you picked. i think it is p e r f e c t . <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete