Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Boy's Nonsense Quilt

I recently joined the Grace Circle of do. Good Stitches and February is my month to lead the quilt. For those of you who are not familiar with do. Good Stitches, it's a quilting bee, consisting of many circles of sewers and quilters who work together to make quilts for various charities. All of this was started and is organized by Rachel of Stitched in Color. I'm so happy that I finally took the plunge this year and that there was an opening in the Grace Circle. Quilts made by our circle are received by foster children via My Very Own Blanket. I've LOVED getting to know these talented ladies of the Grace Circle over the past month and I'm so excited to be leading this month's quilt.

So, anyway, what are we sewing? Well, first I decided to do something girl-y, and then I decided it needed to include red and purple - not two colors I would normally pair. So, in contemplating how to pull these two colors together, I recalled this yardage of Storybook Lane fabric that had been lingering on my shelf and decided it would make a great backing. This adorable print pairs deep rich purple, red, and brown with bright lime-y yellow (citron), aqua, light blue and orange. We'll be combining these colors to make Boy's Nonsense quilt blocks a la this quilt and tutorial by Leila from Where the Orchids Grow.

Storybook Lane Palette

To start, I pulled and organized a bunch of scraps and fabrics so my circle members could see exactly what colors I'm hoping to incorporate.  Leila presents two different blocks (shown here) with varying placement of "value" in her tutorial.  I made two of each, selecting the purple, red, and brown for the high value pieces.  I used Kona white for the smaller triangles to tie the blocks together.

Fabric Pull

Boy's Nonsense Block

Since Leila's tutorial presents cutting instructions for an entire quilt top, I thought I'd break it down for each block for my circle members. Here are the pieces you'll need to cut, with Block A being the block with the high value rectangles (top right and bottom left above) and Block B being the block with the high value square in the middle (top left, bottom right). I'm asking my circle members to make one of each.

Block A:
- cut (2) 3" square white and cut on diagonal to make 4 triangles
- cut (4) high value pieces at 2.5" x 5.5"
- cut (1) medium value piece at 5.5" square (center)
- cut (2) low value pieces at 4.5" square and cut on diagonal to make 4 triangles

Block B:
- cut (2) 3" square white and cut on diagonal to make 4 triangles
- cut (4) low value pieces at 2.5" x 5.5"
- cut (1) high value piece at 5.5" square (center)
- cut (2) medium value pieces at 4.5" square and cut on diagonal to make 4 triangles

The piecing instructions can be found here.  A couple of tips regarding piecing:

:: When sewing the larger triangles to the rectangles, I found it helpful to press both pieces in half and align them at the pressed line.
:: After trimming, my blocks measured 10 1/4" square.


Boy's Nonsense Block for Grace Circle

I hope my Grace Circle friends enjoy putting these together as much as I did! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh baby! I'm in love. Can't wait to get to it. Thank you so much for putting these directions together. You did a wonderful job and this quilt is going to be great. Can't wait to see everyone's squares online! And welcome to Grace, Laurel. I'm so thankful to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fun one! I'll make an extra if you want it for the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great block choice, Laurel! I like your color combo too. I'm going to have fun choosing fabrics for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for the love. : ) Irelle, totally up to you - if you're having fun and want to sew an extra, go for it. But, two will be perfectly fine if that's all you feel like doing. : )

    ReplyDelete