Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Botanics Quilt

Presenting...my first quilt finish of 2014! I'm very happy with how this one turned out and the fact that I can finally check "a half-square triangle quilt" off of my long mental list of quilts to make. I don't know why, but I've always been intimidated by the idea of making an entire quilt with half-square triangles. Maybe it was all the trimming I knew I'd have to do. But, oh, all the possibilities that come with this simple, classic quilt block.

Botanics Quilt

Very much inspired by this quilt by Krista of Spotted Stones (which I found I had pinned numerous times - always a good sign that you like something), I chose to do a simple arrangement, playing with value. All fabrics on the quilt top are from the fabulous Botanics collection by Carolyn Friedlander, with the exception of one shot cotton (in latte by Kaffe Fassett). I chose to use mainly greens, blues, golds, a little bit of orange/red, and lots of low volume prints from Botanics. This fabric collection is just so unique and bold. I love how the prints play as solids from a distance, but, up close, explode with details and character. It's just a really cool collection.

Botanics Quilt Quilting

Botanics Quilt Binding

I quilted it with diagonal lines on either side of each seam to keep it nice and soft. This would have been a fun quilt to do some fancy free motion quilting to emphasize the low and high volume squares. Buuuut, I'm not quite there yet!  Thinking about it is always a good step, though, right? For the backing I chose this print from Dowry by Anna Maria Horner, which I thought paired perfectly.

Botanics Quilt Back

This quilt was a gift for my parents, who recently celebrated their 50th anniversary. Amazing, right? Truth be told, I was sitting in their living room back in December and taking in the colors and decor in their house, and suddenly imagined a quilt made with Botanics. Their home is filled with lots of soothing greens and blues with little pops of reds or yellow here and there, and they seem to have a lovely collection of modern pieces that remind me of these colors and prints. So, that was that...off I set to make a quilt for them. Not just to celebrate their marriage, but to thank them...because truthfully, I don't think that I would be quilting to begin with, were it not for them. So, Cheers to you, Mom and Dad! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.     

A Gift 

:: Quilt Details ::

Size: Approx 42" x 56"
Top Fabrics: Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander (I got most of mine from The Intrepid Thread
Kaffe Fassett Shot Cotton in Latte (available here)
Backing Fabric: Tangle in Aqua from Dowry by Anna Maria Horner (available here)
Binding Fabric: Foilage in Teal from Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander (available here)

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! You did a beautiful job! The backing is perfect, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just wonderful! Beautiful HSTs always catch my eye! What a sweet gift for a great occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so gorgeous. i love the pops of orange in the overall understated color scheme. beautifully executed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How large are the squares? I am trying to recreate this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules...each HST is 4.5" unfinished, so 4" finished. So the final quilt measured about 48"x64". Hope that helps!

      Delete