Friday, February 28, 2014

A Sewing Supplies Road Trip Case

You guys! Have you seen the latest pattern from Anna of Noodlehead? The Road Trip Case is a super versatile case that can be used tote and organize crafty stuff (or pretty much anything). I'm an organizational nerd, so as soon as Anna shared the cases she made for her girls and their Rainbow Loom supplies, I knew I needed to make one pronto. Of course, before making one for Maggie and her loot, I needed to make one for myself and my sewing stuff.  I call it necessary testing.


Road Trip Case Open

So, this is it and I LOVE it! Up until now, I haven't really had a great way to travel with and organize all of my sewing supplies. This case is perfect because it's so sturdy and has pockets for pretty much everything.

I thought this might be a challenging project, so I read Anna's pattern (which was completely thorough and full of great tips) numerous times before starting and also went through all of the blog posts that her pattern testers wrote. The things I thought I might have trouble with, like the vinyl pocket, turned out to be a breeze. I had no problem sewing the vinyl with my walking foot and Clover wonder clips holding everything in place.  

Road Trip Case Vinyl Pouch

Road Trip Case Alternate Pockets

I sewed the alternate pocket version, which gives you four separate pockets, one side longer than the other. Finishing the pocket - pleating and stitching it to the lining - was a bit tricky. I read the instructions repeatedly here and it helped.

Road Trip Case Long Pockets

Road Trip Case Short Pockets

I made my own bias binding and instead of sewing it on as described in the pattern, I essentially attached it the same way I would bind a quilt. I took a single fold bias strip and sewed it (raw edges aligned) to the inside of the case with a 1/4" seam allowance and then wrapped and hand stitched the bias to the outside of the case. This method just works better for me and gives me a cleaner finish. But, it does take more time. I also chose to use some cotton strapping for the handles, since I happened to have a couple of short pieces around.

Road Trip Case Binding

I knew this case would not be a quick sew (it probably took me about 6 hrs), but I took my time and enjoyed it. I think the next one I make will go a lot faster. The fabrics I used are recent favorites, listed below. I'm headed to Sew South in just a few weeks and I can't wait to fill this case up with all of my sewing stuff! And, I'm sure I'll be cutting out another one soon!

IMG_6897.jpg

:: Road Trip Case Fabrics ::

Outer Fabric and Binding: Prints by Juliana Horner for Fabric Traditions at Joanns
Lining: Lush Uptown Paintbox in Sky by Erin Michaels for Moda
Pockets: Comma Periods in Chalk by Zen Chic for Moda
Pocket Flaps: Prints by DSQuilts for Fabric Traditions at Joanns

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love it. THose fabrics are just so pretty! Makes me want to make another one! :)

    ReplyDelete