Thursday, March 13, 2014

This and That

I thought I'd pop in today to share some odds and ends I've been stitching up lately. I feel like I've been a little flaky in the sewing room, probably because I have a lot of projects going at one time. I'm really not the best multi-tasker.

I finished up this journal cover yesterday for a secret swap we're doing at Sew South (which starts one week from today - gah!). I was having an off day and again...feeling flaky. See how those colorful stitched lines match up so perfectly on the edge of the journal? That little detail totally turned my day around for the better. I love to make journal covers - they are such great projects to be playful and creative. This one was extra fun. I hope my partner is happy with it! 




  
I initially started piecing this bit of patchwork for a project for Sew South. Once I found out what we would be making with it, I decided this piece wouldn't really be a good fit for the project. And, actually I was kind of relieved because all along I wanted to keep going and turn this into a baby quilt. So, that's what I'll do now. It includes a lot of old and new fabric scraps that I cut into 3.5" squares and arranged in a plus sign pattern. Mostly shades of pink with pops of yellow and tangerine.  In the blank spaces I'm using Comma Periods by Zen Chic for Moda (I got mine here).



This project has been on the works in my mind for months. Remember this old stack. Well, I finally decided on a Drunkard's Path quilt back at the beginning of the year. I used this template and tutorial by The Sometimes Crafter. I cut out a few practice blocks back in January just to get the hang of sewing the curves. And, then...they sat. Until, just recently when I finally found some time to start piecing some blocks. Originally I planned to only do dark value circles with lighter value borders. But, as I was cutting I realized I would end up with a lot of waste if I didn't use the coordinating pieces. So, I'm going to play with this design as I go and see what will work best. Gosh, there are so many ways I could lay out these blocks. It'll be fun!



So that's what's sewing here...lots of bright and happy stuff. I must be channeling Spring. What are you stitching these days?

4 comments:

  1. Crocheting outside:). Just a week ago we were shoveling a foot of snow. Love the dresden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, crocheting outside sounds lovely!

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE the journal you made! Seriously. Adorable. I'm a sucker for Dresdens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Whit!!! I love Dresdens too...I always forget how much until I make one and then I just want to keep making them. : )

      Delete