Thursday, April 17, 2014

Changing Gears





Lately, life has been pretty overwhelming. Suddenly my sweet Lyla who has been for the most part an easy (and of course, wonderful) addition to our family, is completely exhausting me...all of us really. She's climbing on tables and throwing everything she can get her hands, she's screeching and stomping her feet. She needs attention and love and patience...as toddlers do! I've done this before, but how to truly manage without feeling a bit strung out escapes me.

There are other non-Lyla things too. The fact that I over-committed myself this year at Maggie and Joe's schools and at church. The fact that I have three children going in what feels like three different directions all the time. The fact that even our kids - whose schedules we try to keep light and easy - have places to be at times that often feel so inconvenient.  

And, there's my creative life. Which has at times, felt less like a hobby and more like a job. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself that I already have a job at home with my children. And, I'm so fortunate to have that job and not need another, and if it's is all I can handle right now, that's ok. Creating is my outlet and my hobby and it should be fun - it should be spent sketching a new project, or doing some embroidery on the couch, or starting a new quilt when I feel like it.

So, lately I've been considering what's worthwhile to me. I've been thinking about what I love most about creating, which is basically the whole idea of dreaming up a project and bringing it to life - and ways that I can fit that into my life, without feeling rushed or overwhelmed. And, in my real life I'm stepping down from commitments, and being more honest with people, without feeling guilty. And, tuning out a bit...that's always good.

It'll probably be quieter here, but I do have so much fun sewing and stitching and ideas to share. I hope you'll continue to hang with me!  

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Laurel. I can certainly relate to this, and it's something that's been on my mind as of late as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your cross-stitch heart embroidery. Thanks for sharing. (Try to) stay peaceful in the midst of the storms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet friend - I so relate to these words. I think that struggle of finding space to slow down in the midst of raising three kids is constant. Sushi dinners help! Love the cross stitch heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val...nice to know I'm in such good company!

      Delete
  4. Oh, dear...I stumbled upon this post today at bloglovin by way of Jennifer Mathis' blog. It was good to read your 'heart' and the 'strung out' feeling of caring for little ones day in, day out. I'm a mom to six that now range in age from 13 to 22. For about a year now, I've been saying, 'I miss parenting little ones. It was so much easier then!' But your post reminded me of the little things (like climbing onto everything or throwing things, or the shrieking...how could I forget about the shrieking!). While little kids make me reminisce about the joys of parenting them, I do remember that it was not a walk in the park!
    As a crafting blogger myself, I tend to feel like I should always place my emphasis my crafting or quilting at my site. I feel like that's the only reason people would want to read what I share. Except that I'm reminded by this post, it's also okay to share about LIFE! I wanted you to know that I'm glad you did. Hang in there, momma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. I don't often write posts like that, but I'm glad I did. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I don't think parenting is ever easy...and six kiddos - wow! I would love to read about that kind of life! :)

      Delete