Thursday, May 29, 2014

Things for Babies

We were recently blessed with the arrival of twin nephews. Oh, you guys, they are the sweetest little people in the world. Seeing them snuggled up together just melts my heart. We're so happy that they live close so we can hopefully spend lots of time together.

Divided Basket

Naturally, anytime a baby arrives in my family I start thinking about quilts. I have been formulating plans for these guys and picking out bits of fabric here and there and can't wait to start creating something special for them. But, in the meantime, I made some goodies to welcome them to this world, and hopefully make things a bit easier on their Mom and Dad. I mean, I can't even imagine the number of diapers, burp cloths, and bibs they'll need. Oy!

So, to keep everything organized I started with a Noodlehead Divided basket. I've seen so many versions of this basket made for babies and I love how functional they are. Aside from piecing and quilting some fabric for the front pocket, I stuck with the pattern (it's a great one!). I found this fox print at Joanns and thought it was pretty darn cute, so I paired it with some denim essex yarn-dye linen and a couple of bright prints from Chicoppee by Denyse Schmidt. 

Basket for Babies

Divided Basket Inside

Divided Basket Back

Now, for all the little things...I first saw burp cloths like this on Anna's blog (here), but the original tutorial is over here on Probably Actually. They are so soft, so functional, with a fun band of fabric on each end.

Burp Cloths

I've been making wash cloths like these for years. What seems like eons ago, I tried cloth diapering with Joe. Along the way, I picked up some amazingly soft organic bamboo velour, thinking I'd use it to make cloth wipes. It's seriously soft stuff, but also insanely stretchy. I make a new stack about once a year for my kiddos to use in the bath. Making them has been a battle with how stretchy the velour is but this time around I finally found a trick to make it super easy...I essentially glue basted the pieces together. I've started using glue a lot more in my sewing room (good ole' Elemers) and am amazed at how helpful it is! More on that later, perhaps?

Washcloths

These bibs were my favorite thing to make. I used the Best Baby Bib pattern by Jennifer Casa. I suppose you don't really need a pattern for bibs - there are dozens of free ones available out there or it's easy enough to trace your own. But, I adore the patchwork style and sweet shape of these bibs. Jennifer's patterns are always great with a little something special to them. I used an organic knit for the ties so these will be super soft on their sweet little necks. 

Bibs

So, of course, I had to sew something fun for big sister too. Riley loves dolls and stuffed animals, so I knew right away that I wanted to use the adorable Three Bears Sleeping Bag pattern by Flossie Teacakes. The one thing my kiddos have always begged for me to make them are stuffed animal sleeping bags...over, and over and over again. I've had my eye on that pattern for a long time and I'm so happy to finally have it on hand. It's such a sweet pattern, simple to follow, with three different size options. Riley's is stitched up in Briar Rose fabrics by Heather Ross, which, tells it's own little story. 

Bear Sleeping Bag

Bear Sleeping Bag

I've been doing so much fun, gift-y sewing this Spring and I have to say - it's the best! Now, these boys better not grow up before I finish their quilts!

4 comments:

  1. Your nephews (and your niece) are truly blessed to have such a talented aunt. What a wonderful gift basket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great line up of gifts!!!!! you were busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post and adorable bibs! You are so blessed because you have this amazing talent. I admire you for this work of yours. It's so nice to nice! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete