Friday, June 13, 2014

Mini Quilt Swap

I recently became part of a fun swap group with six other ladies that also went to Sew South. We were all newbies to Sew South this year. Several of us live around this area in NC and the others live in SC, so we appropriately call our group "Sew Carolina". I love, love, love our little group, especially that there are just 7 of us, and how we've gotten to know each other.

To kick things off, we decided to do a mini quilt swap. I was so excited because 1) Prior to the swap, I didn't have a single mini quilt on my wall in my sewing space and 2) I absolutely love sewing small quilts...really, I could see myself getting addicted to these.

So, first I want to share the mini-quilt I received! Kelly picked my name and she nailed it!! Isn't it perfect?!  I've admired tree quilts like this for so long, I'm so happy to finally have one.


I adore the improv-style piecing, the assortment of greens and those little pops of aqua. Not to mention, the quilting is perfect!


I also shared with Kelly how fitting this mini quilt is for me...I truly love to be amid trees or wandering around on a path in the woods and this quilt reminds me of that. So, thank you thank you, Kelly for making me this quilt - it is so very special to me!  


I made a mini quilt for my friend, Tamie. When I found out she was my partner, I started following her on Pinterest. Right off the bat, I noticed that I loved everything she pinned - good sign! Her quilting boards were really inspiring to me and full of ideas. I noticed that she had a lot of quilts with flying geese or half-square triangle designs, so I decided to do something with those type of blocks. She also mentioned that she liked the look of linen with bright colors, which I incorporate in so many of my own quilts. I chose an assortment of bright prints, some low volume prints, and some Essex yarn-dyed linen in flax.


I'm typically so stubborn about using patterns when I make quilts. But, after playing with some of my own ideas for a while, I kept returning to this tutorial by the Purl Bee and decided to give it a go. It was so easy to follow and came together quickly. I made a couple of changes to the arrangement of the geese, but for the most part, I mimicked the design of the Purl Bee quilt. I think if I had not followed the tutorial, I would've been inclined to arrange the flying geese units in a very random fashion, which I don't think would've looked as appealing. So, in that sense, this was a good learning experience for me. 


I quilted it with straight lines about 1/4" apart. I'm so happy with how it turned. I'd love to try this design again! 


I gained so much from Sew South, but by far the best were the friendships I've made with other sewers and quilters. This swap was so much fun, but mostly I feel so lucky to be part of such a fun group of inspiring and talented ladies! 

6 comments:

  1. Your straight line quilting is always so perfect with no drag at all. Lucky! Both minis are so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! I think that is the fine work of my Bernina walking foot. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you again. Since I don't blog, I'm glad you were able to share what you sent me. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun idea! And look at all of those points! You quilters wow me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that little difference you made to the tutorial when arranging those flying geese! Have to keep that in mind! Lovely little piece of work!

    ReplyDelete