Thursday, June 19, 2014

Our Summer














So many times I've written about the season of summer and what it means to us. It is such a significant time of year, especially when you're a child. So much freedom, so much opportunity, so much magic...so much sunshine and water and popsicles and bare feet with wrinkly toes and sun bleached tangled hair, and late warm nights.   

We have such an interesting summer break since Maggie and now Joe go to year-round school. Memorial Day to Fouth of July is about it. Five weeks and bam...we're starting a new school year, back to backpacks and homework. Sometimes it feels completely strange to me - this short summer - and sometimes it feels just right. But, whatever the case, I know we must make the most of this time.

This year, my kiddos requested a camp free summer, which I'm cool with (so far!). Other than a couple of activities, we just kind of roll day to day doing what feels right. Some days we do all the summertime things and some days, say, when the toddler face plants on the pool deck and ends up with a giant busted lip, we leave the pool early, come home and lay around like lazy dogs.  It's good and I think we all need this kind of life right now.

It is still a challenge for me to meet the needs of a very active and mischievous toddler with those of two older and much more independent children. But, as much as I can, I try to take my cue from the older two, who are amazingly patient and flexible. If I just stop and look at them, I see that they are all so happy, smiling and laughing - oh my, there has been a lot of laughter in our house this summer.  Summer is not always going to be magical for them, so I'm very, very thankful for these beautiful days. I hope you're enjoying your summer, however you choose to spend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment