Friday, October 24, 2014

Patchwork 241 Tote


This bag has been on my "to make" list for so long, it's silly. I'm pretty picky about bags that I carry day-to-day. I think it's the plethora of fabric options that always stumps me...do I go patchwork or not, this print or that print? And, then the quilter in me can get carried away, and I wonder if I've made something that I really want to carry all the time or take a nap under. Is that just me? 

241 Tote

Anyway, a few weeks back, I dumped a couple of Umbrella trimmings packs (find them here or here) on my cutting board and decided it was time to try out this tote. If you aren't familiar with Umbrella Prints, they are a fabric company out of Austrailia that prints beautiful designs on organic cotton and cotton-hemp. The trimmings packs are fun little scrap packs of their lovely fabrics. I picked one up with the intention of putting something together for their trimmings competition last Spring and a sweet friend gave me another. Unfortunately, I just didn't get my act together for the competition...maybe next year.

Back 241 Tote

Anyway, I loved finding ways to fit all of the pieces together and squeeze in even the tiniest of scraps. I was able to make both front and back patchwork panels for the bag - each completely unique! I love all of the unexpected pops of color. 

Details

I paired the outer panels with this beautiful double cloth cotton (from Rachael's shop - out of stock now, but she does have it in black). I'm kind of obsessed with this stuff!! All of the exterior panels are quilted for a little more stability. I did not quilt the pockets, but just used some light interfacing (Shapeflex 101). I also interfaced all of the lining pieces with Shapeflex. And, I added a bit of trim to the top of the pocket to break up the sides a bit.

Adjustable Strap

I decided to add an adjustable strap to the bag after seeing a couple of versions that Anna made using them. I used the instructions from this pattern and it worked out great! It's so nice to have an option to carry it cross body, especially since I have a very wriggly 2-year old on my hands right now.

Stuffed 241 Tote

So, here it is all stuffed up. I've been carrying it for a few days now, and I love it. Anna's designs are so well thought out in terms of being practical and stylish. This tote is the perfect size for the things I carry now. And, I love the side pockets for my phone and keys. The pattern, not surprisingly, is super awesome! Easy to follow and sew, as are all of her patterns.       

Top 241 Tote

I just had to take these pictures outside, because it's been so gorgeous here all week...sunny, cool, crisp and glowing. We've been spending as much time outside as possible. Fall makes me so happy!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful bag, Laurel! I made one and added the strap adjustment, too. I Love a nice cross-body bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! So happy I took the time to do the adjustable strap! And, thank you, Terry! : )

      Delete
  2. it's so gorgeous! If I lived near you, I'd want to come steal it. perfect combo of everything. love!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love the sort of chambray base + gorgeous fabrics for color. So pretty friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that double cloth makes such a wonderful bag! I just used some for the first time and I'm a little obsessed, too!

    ReplyDelete