Friday, November 6, 2015

Meadow Quilt









Do you remember this quilt? I love where it started from. A pretty stack of fabric that started to come to life after a trip to Duke Gardens one Spring Sunday. And, I love where it ended (over a year later), with a special lady, who loves flowers and color, and was a wonderful neighbor in the 12 years we lived at our old home. It wasn't until I knew where this quilt should end up that I actually felt motivated to finish it.

All of the details for the quilt can be found in this post. I made 12 quilt-as-you-go log cabin blocks and framed them with a bright green solid. It finished at about 42" x 54". Several people asked me how I would go about finishing up this quilt (attaching the back), so I thought I'd share what I did. Once the top was done, I simply basted the quilt top to the backing, and quilted a zig-zag stitch along the major block and border seams to secure the layers. I chose to use a zig-zag stitch because I thought it might help flatten and secure the seam. It was quick and easy method and one I've seen used by many people. But I will be honest, I didn't love the feel of the finished quilt. The seams were very noticeable and felt quite bulky. And, overall, the quilt just didn't feel quite as cozy and cohesive as a quilt finished in a traditional manner. I love the quilt-as-you-go method for small items like pillows or bags, but I don't think I'll use it again on a quilt. 

Anyway, all's well that ends well...Donna said she wanted to hang it on her wall, which is perfect! As I was finishing it up, I remembered that she helped me thread my very first sewing machine about 9 years ago. We were sitting at my kitchen table. I was pregnant with my first child. All I remember were the contractions I was having, and sure enough Maggie arrived the next day. She (and her husband) were so good to us over the years, so it was wonderful to thank her with the gift of this quilt.     

4 comments:

  1. Glad it found a home! And just want to add, it *looks* completely beautiful. I have barely even cut into my own set and this is making me wonder if it's too late to find a backup stash!

    ReplyDelete