Wednesday, January 13, 2016

My Make List :: 2016

You may be surprised that I have just one quilt on my "make list" this year. With the exception of one overdue charity quilt, I'm going to abandon my work in progress basket (really only a couple of projects in there anyway). I think I'm at a point with my quilting where I really need to start fresh and just explore on my own - see where the fabric and my mood takes me. I am very interested in doing more improv sewing and also working more with solid fabrics or unusual substrates. I'm also very inspired by all of Carolyn Friedlander's Slow Sewing Studio patterns. Her work is truly amazing and stands apart, so I would love to take some time to explore one of her patterns or methods - like these pincushions, maybe!!  


The one quilt I do intend to finish this year (along with that overdue charity quilt!), is this feather bed quilt. I started it back in November. The feather sides have all been cut and pieced, so my next step will be to cut the background pieces and piece the feathers. I expect this part will actually be quite time consuming, since I have 38 total feathers. That's enough feathers for a twin size quilt (per the pattern), but I plan to add wide borders and make it queen size. My dream is for this to be a quilt topper for our bed in the winter.         


The area in which I do have a list this year is garment sewing - not for my children (although I do still intend to sew for them), but for me! I've been so inspired by the world of garment sewing over the past year - especially the range of patterns and quality fabrics that are available. I've seen amazing dresses, and tops, and even jeans! I'm tired of searching for and being disappointed with store-bought clothes that I don't love, so I'm going to give this handmade thing a whirl and see how it goes. I've been slowly building my pattern list, stashing some fabrics, and pinning ideas. Here's what's on my current list:

:: Linden Sweatshirt by Gainline Studio (already made one I love!)
:: Women's Tunic from Handmade Style by Anna Graham (Noodlehead)
:: Beatrix by Made By Rae
:: T-shirts (I've been intrigued by Cal Patch's classes on Creativebug)
:: Morris Blazer by Grainline Studio
:: Brumby Skirt by Megan Nielson
:: Moneta Dress by Colette Patterns
:: Phoebe Dress by Colette Patterns
:: Jeans

I'm sure this list will grow and change as the year goes, but I do hope I can make time to try something different each month. This month I'm tackling the Linden Sweatshirt by Grainline. It's a simple, pattern for a very practical top. I've finished one that I love and have a couple of others cut out and ready to go!


I don't really have much of a knitting list, but I almost always have something on needles. I started this Pine Bough Cowl over the holidays and I expect I will be picking away at it most of this winter (and perhaps next). I'm really loving this project and have been surprised by how much I love colorwork. I have finished just about a quarter of the cowl, so for me (a complacent slow knitter) this is a pretty big project. Along with this, I'm eager to knit up some new hats for my girls too, and maybe a sweater for Lyla. 


I didn't even get to bags, but I'm sure that I want to sew up both a Gatherer Crossbody Bag and a Maker's Tote - both patterns by Anna Graham. Both of these look pretty amazing - just waiting for a nice cold, rainy weekend to squeeze in the time to make them. In the meantime, I'm figuring out how to work a little making into my day-to-day, which has been great! I'd love to hear what your creative list look like this year!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see your makes this year. I have thought about garments (although I have never done any) but also want to finish up some quilts that are started. Now, just to get motivated to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great list! I need to redo my list. This looks great for keeping motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete