Friday, January 1, 2016

Out with the Old, In with the New!


Hi friends, a very Happy New Year to you! This was my favorite photo of 2015 and Lyla's dress (a geranium I made in December) was one of my favorite makes (decidedly tied with my Poolside Tote). 2015 was not my best year, but I think I came out of it a little wiser and happier than I went into it. With that in mind, I have some pretty big hopes and dreams for 2016.

Last year I found that one of the things I was lacking the most was quiet time to clear my head. The days with my three kids were longer, busier and seemingly more complicated than ever. Over the course of the year, I discovered some ways to find quiet and sort through my thoughts...running was a biggie, also reading, knitting, and taking social media breaks. Without a doubt, I'll be doing more of these things in 2016 and hopefully other things as well. The fact that I'm getting a new bike soon and have already signed up for my first mini triathlon should be some pretty great motivation.     

I also regret that I didn't document more of my life in 2015. I didn't blog as much or take as many pictures with my DSLR and gosh, I missed it! I've already talked about how much I love sharing in this space. Long ago, I used to enjoy journaling (ya know, with pen and paper) and I loved my planner and keeping lists. I did a little research over the holidays and decided to try a Passion Planner for 2016. I love the simple design (side note: being a lefty, I totally appreciate a planner without a giant spiral binding!), the features for making and tracking goals, and the creative space, especially the graph pages. I'm hoping that getting all of these things and ideas flurrying around in my head out and onto paper will help. Although, I am turning 40 this year, so we'll have to see whether my brain is really fixable. 

Lastly, I kind of felt like I fell off my creative game this past year. I couldn't quite figure out how to fit it in and honestly, how to truly enjoy it again...moving to a new home, and falling behind on sewing obligations didn't help. I also found social media to be completely overwhelming at times...it is a wonderful resource that I love and gather so much inspiration from, but I found myself lost at times in other peoples' {amazing} work and paralyzed to get up and make my own things. I guess my true goal with sewing and making this year would be to find my place and style again. I want to try to make time to create every day, even if it's just a few stitches, sketching out an idea, or knitting a row. I have an amazing space in my new home that I'm super excited about! I painted it a clean white over Thanksgiving. It feels so fresh and inviting. I set up some space for the kids in there to create too, but don't think I won't close those doors and be alone when I need to. I have a fun new list of things I want to make this year but I think I'll share that in a separate post!

Thanks to those of you who stop by my blog, leave kind comments, and brighten my day! I wish you all the best as we embark on this bright, New Year! I'm off to enjoy a campfire with my sweet family - our New Year's tradition.

7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Laurel. Maybe we can both get back in the groove this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Tamie!! Sounds like a plan. : )

      Delete
  2. I can see why that's a favorite photo, Laurel! Big score for capturing it. Good luck on your first mini triathlon and finding more time to create in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great goals and I can so relate to needing quiet and finding my creativity again. Love your writing, as always, friend. So wish I could come see your new creative space! Tour?! Looking forward to seeing all the pretty things you create this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to do a studio tour. : ) Thanks, Mary!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.
    Thanks For more information visit
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete