Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Picnic Plaid Quilt

About a year ago my friend Mary, expecting her third child, commissioned me to make a baby quilt. The gender was to be a surprise, but she gave me full reign on the pattern and colors. I was excited to dream up this one as I felt like I had a good sense for Mary's style (and I liked it!).  

I sat on the project for a few months, trying to drum up some ideas. I was in a bit of a quilting funk. But then I got Anna Graham's Handmade Style book and found the Picnic Plaid Quilt pattern. It looked like a great fit for Mary - modern, yet simple, a quilt where you could really highlight some fun prints and colors, and still have a unique pattern. I texted a picture to Mary and she loved it. Yay! 


I really wanted the colors of this quilt to be calming and soothing, so I started with a palette of grey, white, and mint/teal. To that I added a couple of soft orange/peach prints to vary the colors a bit. I was a little obsessed with picking the perfect prints (like this, this, this, and this for starters), that I perhaps didn't do the best job at choosing fabrics with the right color value. Anna does a great job emphasizing the importance of value placement in this quilt pattern and how it will influence the final look of the quilt (in fact, she shares a great version of this quilt along with some discussion on value here). I recognized that some of my foreground prints were a little low-value, but decided to go with them anyway. I still love how the quilt turned out! It was a super fun pattern to put together. This is the lap size (59" square), but the baby size would come together in a flash!


The back of the quilt might be my favorite part! I made a simple string of flying geese in some scraps I had left over from the front. I love how it shows off the color palette. And, I've been thinking that I would love to make another quilt just like this.


I quilted this one with horizontal straight lines, spaced randomly. They are more dense in the middle of the quilt and spread out towards the top and bottom.


This quilt made it's way to sweet baby Emily (a girl!!!) last September. I have to say, I was super excited when Mary told me she'd had a little girl. For her, of course (she has two boys already), but also because I think this quilt just looked more fitting for a girl. 


Mary is an amazing photographer and keeps me smiling with her sweet pictures of Emily laying on this quilt (or anywhere really - she's ridiculously adorable!!!). Just check out the one in this post on her blog (which, by the way, is jam packed with beautiful photos, thoughts and words). Ahhh, so cute, right??? There is really nothing better than to see a quilt you've made being used and loved and cherished! I'm so happy I had the privilege to make this one!

2 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely. I do love the back as much as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love it, and I think the values are fine. I like the lighter green in the middle.

    ReplyDelete